Regional and Geography Committee
The purpose of the Regional and Geography Committee is to address all matters relating to subnational official statistics.
It is a sub-group of the Statistical Policy and Standards Committee.
The committee meets twice a year, or as necessary.
Its main aims are:
- to promote the use of subnational statistics for the development of United Kingdom (UK) policy
- to provide guidance and advice on subnational statistics including the sharing of good practice and innovation
- to develop, maintain and promote the application of statistical policies, practices and standards relating to subnational statistics across the Government Statistical Service (GSS) and devolved administrations (including the geographical framework).
The chair for this committee is the Head of Cities and Subnational Analysis in the Office for National Statistics (ONS). The membership includes representatives from across the GSS and devolved administrations.
Sponsor Department: Office for National Statistics.
To promote the use of subnational statistics, geospatial data and location-based analysis across the GSS and Devolved Administrations in order to inform policymaking.
To develop, maintain and promote statistical policies, practices, standards and guidance on the above topics across the GSS and devolved administrations – sharing best practice and promoting innovation.
The committee will:
- take account of the views of subnational statistics users, both inside and outside governmenteEncourage and support implementation of the UK Statistics Authority’s Code of Practice for Statistics
- agree its work programme with and report to the GSS Statistical Policy and Standards Committee (SPSC)
- liaise with, and support the work of SPSC and other GSS committees as required
- establish, provide direction to take feedback from subgroups as appropriate
Accountable to: GSS Statistical Policy and Standards Committee (SPSC).
Richard Prothero – Head of Cities and Subnational Analysis, Public Policy Division, Office for National Statistics (ONS)
Public Policy Analysis Directorate, ONS
- Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
- Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government
- Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
- Department for Education
- Department for Transport
- Department for Work and Pension s
- Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs
- Home Office
- ONS (Public Policy Division; ONS Geography; National Accounts Coordination Division, Data Science Campus)
- Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency
- Scottish Government
- Welsh Government
- Ministry of Defence
- Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport
- Welsh Revenue Authority
Frequency of meetings
Twice a year, otherwise as necessary