The International Committee manages the response by the Government Statistical Service (GSS) to developments in global statistical systems.
The committee meets quarterly and has five main responsibilities:
- deciding the strategic direction on international activities involving the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, United Nations and wider global institutes
- communicating the agreed strategic direction on international activities and coordinating GSS activity at international meetings
- enhancing the UK’s reputation on the international stage and furthering the global development of statistics
- promoting the importance of international statistical work
- increasing awareness of international developments with regards to statistics
The chair of this committee is Jonathan Athow, deputy National Statistician and Director General for Economic Statistics. The deputy chair is Neil Jackson from the Department for International Development. The membership is made up of representatives from UK government departments with significant international work. The secretariat is provided by the Central Policy Secretariat.
The committee works with GSS International Liaison Officers to help inform the GSS community about international matters.