Heads of Profession Group
The Heads of Profession (HoPs) Group is at the heart of the governance of the Government Statistical Service (GSS).
The HoPs Group meets quarterly and has eight main responsibilities:
- providing professional and strategic guidance and leadership to the GSS
- advising the National Statistician
- communicating guidance and information to the GSS
- considering and agreeing professional policies and strategies suggested by the National Statistician, Heads of Profession, Chief Statisticians and other committees
- agreeing GSS-wide statistical plans and work programmes
- providing a forum for HoPs to network and share information
- reviewing the governance, structure and operation of the GSS
- commissioning work from, or supporting the work of, other GSS committees
The chair of this committee is the National Statistician. The membership includes all HoPs for statistics in UK government departments, Chief Statisticians of the devolved administrations and the statistical directors in the Office for National Statistics.