The Heads of Profession (HoPs) Group is at the heart of the governance of the Government Statistical Service (GSS). It provides professional guidance on the direction, governance and administration of the GSS.
The HoPs Group meet quarterly and has eight main responsibilities:
- Providing professional and strategic guidance and leadership to the Government Statistical Service (GSS).
- Advising the National Statistician.
- Communicating guidance and information to the GSS.
- Considering and agreeing professional policies and strategies suggested by the National Statistician, Heads of Profession, Chief Statisticians or other committees.
- Agreeing GSS-wide statistical plans and work programmes.
- Providing a forum for HoPs to network and share information.
- Reviewing the governance, structure and operation of the GSS.
- Commissioning work from, or supporting the work of, other GSS committees.
The Chair of this committee is the National Statistician. The membership includes all HoPs for Statistics in UK government departments, Chief Statisticians of the devolved administrations and the Statistical Directors in the Office for National Statistics.
Please log-in to access contact details, current membership, terms of reference and past papers for committees.