The Heads of Profession Steering Group (HPSG) aims to further the development of the Government Statistical Service (GSS) at the highest level.
HPSG meets quarterly and has six main responsibilities:
- Identifying and proposing issues for discussion by Heads of Profession (HoPs).
- Commenting on agendas for future Heads of Profession Group meetings.
- Acting as a sounding board for the National Statistician.
- Encouraging cooperation between the National Statistician and UK statistics producers on strategic issues so they can form views before raising them with HoPs.
- Discussing key issues and recommending their views to HoPs to help them reach an agreement, or referring them to other bodies, such as cross-government committees, for further work.
- Monitoring the Heads of Profession Group and its subsidiary bodies.
The National Statistician chairs this committee, which is made up of a small group of 6-8 Heads of Profession for Statistics. Membership is decided by the National Statistician, who invites nominations from HoPs. Members serve on the group for a period of two years.
Members of the Committee do not formally represent their departments. They serve in a personal capacity and are expected to bring their knowledge, skills and experience to the role.
Please log-in to access contact details, current membership, terms of reference and past papers for committees.