The National Statistics Harmonisation Group (NSHG) is a sub-committee of the Government Statistical Service, Statistical Policy and Standards Committee and reports to the National Statistics Harmonisation Steering Group (NSH SG). The NSHG is responsible for the cross-government programme of harmonisation, designed to make all UK statistics comparable to each other.
The committee meets every four months and has four main responsibilities:
- Harmonising inputs, outputs and definitions used in survey questions, making it easier for users to draw better comparisons between data sources.
- Considering the requirements of different modes of collection, statistical systems and data needs.
- Providing strategic direction for the development and maintenance of common statistical frames, definitions and classifications for statistics.
- Considering the different requirements of countries in the UK.
The membership is made up of representatives from UK government departments, the devolved administrations and other interested statistical bodies. The Chair is from one of the government departments making up the membership of the group and is usually at the Statistical Head of Profession level. The Terms of Reference can be found here. Agendas, papers and minutes from the NSHG meetings can be found at the bottom of this page.
The current GSS Harmonised Principles, both Primary (questions on key topics for use on all Social Surveys) and Secondary (for use on selected surveys covering more detailed questions) and the Harmonisation Newsletters can be found on the Harmonisation pages on the GSS website.
A Business Harmonisation Task and Finish Group (BHTFG), which reports to the NSH SG, has been formed to investigate and develop harmonised principles for business statistics.
Mark Herniman – Secretary
01329 444018, firstname.lastname@example.org
Minutes from the National Statistics Harmonisation Group
- NSHG Minutes March 2017
- NSHG Minutes November 2016
- NSHG Minutes July 2016
- NSHG Minutes March 2016
- NSHG Minutes December 2015
- NSHG Workshop Report September 2015
- NSHG Minutes September 2015
- NSHG Minutes March 2015
- NSHG Minutes December 2014
- NSHG Workshop Report September 2014
- NSHG Minutes September 2014
- NSHG Minutes June 2014
- NSHG Minutes March 2014
- NSHG Minutes December 2013
Agenda and Papers from the National Statistics Harmonisation Group
- NSHG Papers March 2017
- NSHG Papers November 2016
- NSHG Papers July 2016
- NSHG Papers March 2016
- NSHG Papers December 2015
- NSHG Workshop September 2015
- NSHG Papers September 2015
- NSHG Papers June 2015
- NSHG Papers March 2015
- NSHG Papers December 2014
- NSHG Workshop September 2014
- NSHG Papers September 2014
- NSHG Papers June 2014
- NSHG Papers March 2014
- NSHG Papers December 2013