The International Committee manages the Government Statistical Service (GSS) response to developments in the European and global statistical systems.
The committee meets quarterly and has six main responsibilities.
- Communicating the agreed strategic direction on international activities (especially in the European Statistical System (ESS)) and coordinating GSS activity at international meetings.
- Monitoring European Commission proposals and establishing UK lines and handling strategy.
- Monitoring GSS compliance with European statistical legislation.
- Enhancing the UK’s reputation on the international stage and furthering the global development of statistics.
- Promoting the importance of international statistical work.
- Coordinating GSS involvement in statistical grants and ESS Network Projects (ESSNets).
The Chair of this committee is Glen Watson, ONS Deputy National Statistician People and Public Policy. Neil Jackson DFID, Chief Statistician, is Deputy Chair. The membership is made up of representatives from UK government departments with significant European or international work and the devolved administrations. The Secretariat is provided by the International Relations team.
The committee works with GSS International Liaison Officers to help inform the GSS community about international matters.
Please log-in to access contact details, current membership, terms of reference and past papers for committees.