The AVP is an exciting initiative that arranges short term placements for government analytical staff in voluntary sector organisations. Last year the scheme was expanded to include volunteers from all four Government analytical professions – statistics, social research, operational research, and economics – and was a great success!
The AVP places one or two analysts in each organisation, with placements lasting from half a day up to five days. All departments provide a minimum 3 day volunteering allowance as part of their corporate social responsibility policies. You could help identify, collect or analyse data, and apply these or other analytical skills to help voluntary sector organisations, for example, by finding the most impactful ways to present data about specific topics or analysing impact.
The placements can focus on delivering specific projects, or contributing to an element of a larger project. Volunteers are given a clear brief to plan and deliver within the time period they are with the organisation.
Working in a voluntary sector organisation provides:
- A valuable opportunity to develop and demonstrate a wide range of skills
- An opportunity to carry out influential and impactful analysis
- An experience of a new working environment, including seeing how other organisations operate
- An opportunity to take on a challenge and learn more about how voluntary sector organisations work, the pressures they face and how they use analysis
The biggest benefit for the organisation is that the resource is free of charge and in a skilled area that a voluntary organisation may not have access to. The scheme also:
- Enables organisations to use data to measure and improve their impact, target their work, apply for grants and streamline their activities
- Allows organisations to set up and improve systems and processes. Allows for coaching and teaching of transferring skills so that the organization is able to replicate analysis in the future
- Provides a level of analytical expertise to help/ support a project that they wouldn’t be confident to tackle on their own.
The scheme is open to anyone working in government in England and Wales who has the analytical skills to help voluntary sector organisations. All voluntary sector organisations are invited to apply – although sadly we can’t guarantee all applications will be filled with an analyst. Though we are working with the National Council for Voluntary Organisations (NCVO) to run the scheme, you do not need to be a member of the NCVO to apply. All third sector organisations are welcome to apply.
How to apply – Applications now open!
The 2017 scheme is now open for applications from organisations who would like analytical help. To apply complete the survey by Friday 27th October 2017.
Applications from government volunteers will open on Thursday 2nd November. Keep an eye on this page or to sign up for an email alert when applications open, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Got a question, suggestion or want to know more? Email email@example.com.
A Frequently Asked Questions document is also available.
You may also like to read some case studies to help give you a better idea of what the scheme involves. In April 2016 a progress review was published, summarising the outcomes and lessons learned from the 2014 and 2015 schemes.