The Government Statistical Service (GSS) collects, analyses and publishes official statistics to help government, business, and the public understand the current state of the UK economy and society. GSS statistics allow people to make informed decisions – that could be a citizen interested in the crime rate in their area or the Prime Minister trying to improve the UK economy.
When you join the GSS as a statistician or data scientist you become a member of the Government Statistician Group (GSG). The GSG is a professional community for civil servants who are recognised members of the statistics profession.
You can become a member of the GSG by joining as a:
- Fast Stream Statistician
- The Government Statistical Service’s flagship training scheme for future statistical leaders.
- See the Civil Service Fast Stream website for information on how and when you can apply.
- Statistical Officer
- Work across a range of government departments, agencies and other public bodies collecting, processing and analysing the data underpinning our society and economy.
- Data Scientist
- Work at the heart of government and play an integral role delivering insight from data using statistical and data science techniques.
All GSS jobs are advertised at www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk.
If you require any further information, please contact GSS.Recruitment@ons.gov.uk
What We Offer
- A comprehensive induction course that covers the structure and governance of the GSS, the UK Code of Practice for Official Statistics, the UK Statistics Authority and career management.
- Continuous professional development through a statistics and data science learning curriculum and a range of high quality training courses to develop your statistical an data science knowledge.
- Secondments and voluntary sector placements outside of the GSS to develop a strong understanding of customer needs and how statistics are used outside government.
- The opportunity to defer your placement on the statistician scheme to take up a post on the Department for International Development’s Overseas Development Institute Programme
- How to apply?
Details of open recruitment campaigns are advertised on the civil service jobs website, our vacancies page and via our Twitter account.
- Where are the posts located?
We have posts available in many government departments in London and across the UK.
- Am I eligible to apply?
All posts are open to UK nationals. Most departments also have posts open to Commonwealth citizens, European Union nationals and European Economic Area nationals.
- Equal opportunities
The GSS is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
- Who do I contact for more information?
If you require any further information, please email GSS.Recruitment@ons.gov.uk.
Further information is also available in the GSS brochure (pdf, 4MB).