The Government Statistical Service (GSS) collects, analyses and publishes official statistics to help government, business, and the public understand the current state of the UK economy and society. GSS statistics allow people to make informed decisions – that could be a citizen interested in the crime rate in their area or the Prime Minister trying to improve the UK economy.
When you join the GSS as a statistician or data scientist you become a member of the Government Statistician Group (GSG). The GSG is a professional community for civil servants who are recognised members of the statistics profession.
For more information, open the brochure by clicking the thumbnail.
Ways of joining us
You can become a member of the GSG by joining as a
Fast Stream Statistician – The Government Statistical Service’s flagship training scheme for future statistical leaders.
The next Fast Stream recruitment campaign will begin in September 2017.
Statistical Officer – Work across a range of government departments, agencies and other public bodies collecting, processing and analysing the data underpinning our society and economy.
Below is the timetable for GSS Statistical Officer recruitment (StO, HStO).
Advertising – 16 January 2017 Closing – 5 February 2017
Advertising – 20 February 2017 Closing – 26 March 2017
Advertising – 29 May 2017 Closing – 18 June 2017
Advertising – 24 July 2017 Closing – 3 September 2017
Advertising – 2 October 2017 Closing – 22 October 2017
Advertising – 11 December 2017 Closing – 15 January 2018
Data Scientist – Work at the heart of government and play an integral role delivering insight from data using statistical and data science techniques.
Below is the timetable for GSS Data Scientist recruitment (EO, HEO, SEO)
Advertising – 11 December 2016 Closing – 29 January 2017
Advertising – 3 July 2017 Closing – 13 August 2017
Please note that all dates above are subject to change. All GSS jobs are advertised at www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk. If you require any further information, please contact GSS.Recruitment@ons.gsi.gov.uk
What We Offer
- A comprehensive induction course that covers the structure and governance of the GSS, the UK Code of Practice for Official Statistics, the UK Statistics Authority and career management.
- Continuous professional development through a statistics and data science learning curriculum and a range of high quality training courses to develop your statistical an data science knowledge.
- Secondments and voluntary sector placements outside of the GSS to develop a strong understanding of customer needs and how statistics are used outside government.
- The opportunity to defer your placement on the statistician scheme to take up a post on the Department for International Development’s Overseas Development Institute Programme
Frequently asked questions
- How to apply?
Details of open recruitment campaigns are advertised via this website under our job opportunities page and also via Twitter.
- Where are the posts located?
We have posts available in many government departments in London and across the UK.
- Am I Eligible to apply?
All posts are open to UK nationals. Most departments also have posts open to Commonwealth citizens, European Union nationals and European Economic Area nationals.
- Equal Opportunities
The GSS is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
- Who do I contact for more information?
If you require any further information, please contact the GSS Recruitment team.
Further information is also available in the GSS brochure.