Continuous Professional Development (CPD)
What is Continuous Professional Development?
Continuous Professional Development (CPD) is necessary for people to maintain their knowledge and skills related to their professional lives. For members of the Government Statistician Group (GSG), it involves undertaking relevant learning activity to maintain and develop statistical and data science skills as well as the broader civil service competencies.
Members of the Government Statistician Group (GSG) are expected to maintain a record of the amount of statistical/data science and non-statistical learning undertaken in a given year. Staff may be required to upload their CPD log book for consideration as part of the sifting process when applying for other statistical posts across government. The CPD Log Book was refreshed in March 2016 to align with the new GSG Competency Framework. A link to the new template can be found in the useful documents section below.
Learning and development opportunities available
The Learning Academy Directory brings together the suite of learning and development activities available to all members of the GSS. It focuses on the development of Statistical and Data Science knowledge and skills, and is relevant to all analysts who are keen to develop these skills.
For members of the GSG, both Statisticians and Data Scientists, the Directory provides profession-specific learning that will count towards their CPD.
All newly recruited statisticians and data scientists are required to undertake compulsory training within the first year of their career. More information on this and the other training available can be found on our Training and Events page
If you require further assistance, please contact the GSS Statistical Capability Team
A CPD logbook is a record of professional development which all government statisticians are required to keep. It shows evidence that you are keeping your skills and knowledge up-to-date, and gives you an opportunity to record your development for job applications.
Our Frequently Asked Questions document may be helpful if you still have questions. If you are a new member of the GSG, our Guidance Notes for Assistant Statisticians and Guidance Notes for Statistical Officers can give you and your line manager further information on training and development.
- Continuous Professional Development Policy
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Guidance Notes for Assistant Statisticians
- Guidance Notes for Statistical Officers
- Hints and tips for Assistant Statisticians
Membership of professional communities can enable knowledge sharing, provide updates on the latest developments and offer opportunities to study towards new qualifications. GSS members are encouraged to maintain their continuous professional development and it is recommended that they join or remain part of professional communities, both inside and outside government.
- Government Communication Service (GCS)
- Government Economic Service (GES)
- Government Internal Audit Profession (IAP)
- Government IT Profession (ITP)
- Government Knowledge and Information Management Network (GKIM)
- Government Operational Research Service (GORS)
- Government Social Research Service (GSR)
- Operational Delivery Profession (ODP)
- British Computing Society
- Chartered Institute of Internal Auditers
- Chartered Institute of Marketing
- Chartered Institute of Public Relations
- Chartered Management Institute
- Institute for the Management of Information Systems
- Institute of Economic Affairs
- Royal Statistical Society
- Social Research Association
- The Operational Research Society