Making spreadsheets accessible – guidance coming soon
The Good Practice Team are working on creating guidance on how to make spreadsheet documents meet the legal accessibility regulations.
We have a lot of questions that need answering, such as:
- What are the main issues users of assistive technology face when trying to access spreadsheets?
- What can we do about merged cells?
- Can we have more than one table per worksheet?
- Can we automate the process of making spreadsheets accessible?
- What do we do about footnotes?
- How to we make sure everyone understands when a cell is blank and why it is blank?
- How do we ensure users of assistive technology can navigate large datasets?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any experience of making spreadsheets accessible or if you have any specific questions you need answers to.
We have now published a draft of our update to our ‘Releasing statistics in spreadsheets’ guidance on the Best Practice and Impact GitHub.