UK Statistics Authority – Assistant Private Secretary (Data Capability)
The UK Statistics Authority is seeking to appoint an experienced fast streamer or SEO to provide support to the National Statistician and to the Deputy National Statistician and Director General (DG) for Data Capability.
The role sits within the Authority’s Private Office, part of the Central Policy Secretariat. The Central Policy Secretariat also provides support to the Authority Chair and Board as well as system-level committees including the National Statistics Executive Group. Working at the heart of the UK’s official statistics system, this is an opportunity to work in a fast paced environment across a variety of contemporary statistical and policy issues.
We are looking for a candidate who:
i. is interested in and motivated by, work on digital, data and statistics;
ii. can work independently on projects on behalf of the DG; and
iii. can confidently represent the office to others, including senior external stakeholders.
1. Facilitate communication and develop relationships between the DG, National Statistician, the two other DGs and officials in the Authority and across government;
2. Ensure the alignment of the work on Data Capability with the objectives of the National Statistician and wider government;
3. Oversee and coordinate the provision of timely and high-quality briefing on current issues and daily business, and feedback priorities and concerns to officials;
4. Ensure incoming correspondence is dealt with promptly and draft high quality letters, papers, presentations and articles;
5. Provide accurate, timely and helpful advice on handling data, technology capability and statistical issues, particularly in situations of urgency;
6. Represent the DNS for Data Capability or colleagues to others, including external stakeholders, articulating their position clearly and seeking solutions consistent with their positions;
7. Support the Private Secretary to the National Statistician by leading the Data Capability support team and integrating the team within the wider division;
8. Accompany the DNS on business throughout the UK, ministerial meetings and frequent travel to other ONS sites, including overnight stays. Ensure the DNS has the necessary support when working at other sites.
9. Line manage an executive assistant, consistent with ONS policies and values.
Grade: Senior Executive Officer
Salary: SEO National £35,200 min – £40,249 max – SEO London £37,700 min – £43,249 max
Location: Newport, Titchfield, London*
Closing date: 28 February 2018
The role is principally based at the UK Statistics Authority site in London, but will require travel to Newport and Titchfield sites. Where applicants are based in Titchfield or Newport regular travel will be required to the London site. Applications are welcome from all professions/streams.
For more detail and to apply, please visit Civil Service Jobs.