Upcoming MSc in Data Analytics for Government (MDataGov) Modules
Following the successful launch of the MSc in Data Analytics for Government in July 2017 and the delivery of the Data Science Foundations module at ONS Newport in January by Oxford Brookes University, the Data Science Campus and the ONS Learning Academy invite you to apply to a module from the MSc in Data Analytics for Government (MDataGov).
You can take the modules as a stand alone course or as part of the full MDataGov programme.
The MDataGov programme structure includes four compulsory modules (Data Science Foundations, Statistics in Government, Survey Fundamentals and Statistical Programming), and eight optional modules to be chosen from a range of courses in Statistics and Data Science. The current MDataGov providers are University of Southampton, Oxford Brookes University and University College London (full MSc only). Please see more information below.
Please note that the offer is subject to demand and that you will need to apply directly to the corresponding university. Also, please ensure you have discussed the funding for your studies with your line manager and budget holder.
We are working to expand the list of providers from 2019-2020 academic year to cover other UK regions.
Upcoming MDataGov modules (Oxford Brookes University)
Data Science Foundations, ONS Titchfield
- 21st – 25th May 2018, module code P08801.3, cost: £400 per student, deadline for application: 4th May 2018. Subject to a minimum of 15 students per module.
Statistical Programming, ONS Newport
- 21st – 25th May 2018, module code P08803.2, cost: £400 per student, deadline for application: 4th May 2018. Subject to a minimum of 15 students per module.
Regression Modelling, ONS Newport
- 11th – 15th June 2018, module code P08811.2, cost: £400 per student, deadline for application: 4th May 2018. Subject to a minimum of 15 students per module.
Data Science Foundations, Edinburgh
- 11th – 15th June 2018, module code P08801.3, cost: £550 per student, new deadline for application: 19th March 2018, Location: Sighthill (Edinburgh College), Bankhead Avenue, Edinburgh, EH11 4DE. Subject to a minimum of 20 students per module.
How to apply (Oxford Brookes CPD)
The modules above will each run over a full week, Monday-Friday from 10am until 4:30pm each day. A summary of each course is available in the document “OB Short Courses 2017-18”.
There are two different application options, depending on whether you are taking the module with assessment to gain academic credit (which can be used as part of the full MSc in Data Analytics for Government), or whether you would like to attend the course without submitting material for assessment as a CPD option.
In either case, please complete the PG Associate Application Form and return it to MDataGov@brookes.ac.uk. You will need to specify which modules you want to take, including the Brookes module code, and you should indicate in your email which option (assessed or unassessed) you would like to apply for. You should also add on the form your sponsor’s details (name and address). Please note that assessed participants are also required to complete the PG Associate Reference Form and return it to MDataGov@brookes.ac.uk.
Upcoming MDataGov modules (University of Southampton)
- Statistics in Government, 19th – 23rd March 2018
- Index Numbers, 9th – 13th April 2018
- Statistical Programming (R), 25th – 29th June 2018
How to apply (University of Southampton – CPD)
MDataGov applications for the 2018-2019 academic year
Applications for the 2018-2019 academic year are now open for all three MDataGov providers. More information below.
- University College London (full MSc only): deadline for applications is 27 July 2018. Projected fees: £14,520.
- University of Southampton: provisional 2018-19 timetable is now available. Please contact email@example.com for more information. Fees: £9,000.
- Oxford Brookes University : please access the link provided for information on syllabuses and how to apply. A provisional list of modules to be offered at Oxford Brookes campus is below. Fees: £7,200.
Semester 1 modules: Data Science Foundations, Statistical Programming, Regression Modelling, Time Series Analysis, Introduction to Machine Learning, Data Visualisation.
Semester 2 modules: Statistics in Government, Survey Fundamentals, Advanced Statistical Modelling, Intro to Survey Research, Advanced Machine Learning, Introduction to Distributed Systems.