Geography policy for the Government Statistical Service (GSS)
This policy is scheduled for revision following the release of the new version of the Code of Practice for Statistics. It was written in the context of version 1.0 of the code. In situations where the new code and this guidance diverge, the new code should be followed.
|Publication date:||18 March 2015|
|Author:||Office for National Statistics' Geography Team|
|Approver:||Statistical Policy and Standards Committee|
|Who this is for:||Producers of statistics|
This policy provides information on:
- accurately and consistently referencing statistics geographically
- maximising the comparability of statistics
- minimising the impact of changing area boundaries on statistical outputs
- standardising how geography is defined, used and presented
- meeting legal requirements to safeguard the confidentiality of statistics
As this policy aims to improve comparability it can also be treated as a harmonised principle.
This policy is reviewed every three years.
GSS Geography Policy - this PDF does not meet accessibility standards (PDF, 0.89MB)