The Government Statistical Service (GSS) works with other official statistics organisations, Governments and inter-governmental organisations around the world in the global statistical system. We do this in order to:
- develop international standards in official statistics, so UK official statistics can be compared to those about other countries,
- share good practice with and learn from our international peers,
- share resources in developing statistical architecture and methodologies,
- develop a network of personal and institutional support from organisations that share our ethos, perspectives and challenges,
- promote the use of statistics as part of the policy dialogue with national governments,
- assist other countries in helping them to develop their statistical systems.
For guidance or information on international issues, contact the Legal and International Services team (LIS) in the UK Statistics Authority’s Central Policy Secretariat, at International Relations.
All of the UK statistics producers have International Liaison Officers (ILO). They are the main contact points for communicating and coordinating Government Statistical Service (GSS) international activity.
The quarterly ‘International Statistics Dashboard’, produced by LIS, also helps to keep GSS members up-to-date with international statistical developments.
Other information on the International pages is currently being updated. The refreshed pages will be available later in the year.