Government Statistician Group (GSG) – Foundation course
- Open to
- New members of the Government Statistician Group (GSG)
- Training category
- Government Statistician Group
- Type of training
- Face to face
- Two days
- Learning Academy
- Good Practice Team
- London, Manchester
This is a two day course, following on from the Government Statistician Group (GSG) induction course.
It is intended for Fast Stream Assistant Statisticians, Statistical Officers, Data Scientists and anyone else recruited to the GSG, who have been in post from 6 to 18 months. You should be automatically invited to attend.
This course explores the key principles used in all aspects of the production and dissemination of official statistics. Topics are introduced with some presentations, but learning is mainly driven through activities, case studies and discussions that draw on participants’ own experiences, knowledge and views.
The course covers the following broad topic areas:
- the Generic Statistical Business Process Model (GSBPM) – we use this as a broad framework for thinking about the different activities statisticians in government undertake in their day to day work and how they fit together
- statistical quality – what it means and how we measure it
- assessing and meeting user needs
- data sources
- concepts and harmonisation
- data ethics and disclosure control
- quality assurance
- estimating from data
- models, modelling and machine learning
- time series
- index numbers and index measures
- writing about statistics and quality
- innovation in reporting statistics
- the role of the professional statistician
To further develop your professional network of other members of the statistics profession, while learning more about the key topics that will help you consolidate your position in your profession and support your career progress.
How to book:
You should be invited to attend this course 6 to 18 months after you join the GSG.
If you have not been invited and think that you should have, please contact the Learning Academy by emailing email@example.com
Any questions about this course?