Intermediate data science with R
- Open to
- All staff in the Government Statistical Service
- Training category
- Data science
- Type of training
- Face to face
- One and a half days
- Learning Academy
- Office for National Statistics
- London, Newport, Titchfield
This course is about learning to tell stories with data using the R system.
You will learn about the data science workflow (Reflection – Collection – Preparation – Analysis – Reporting) and how the Tidyverse, (a collection of R packages specifically developed for contemporary data science), assists at each stage of the flow in a standardised, coherent and reproducible way.
The focus of the course is on the reflection, collection and preparation stages of the data science process.
You will learn about: importing data presented in almost any format into R, a standard concept of tidy data, how to transform messy data sets into tidy ones and how to explore a data set using techniques such as visualisation, so that it is ready for analysis.
The approach is hands-on and we make use of real-life case-studies.
At the end of this course participants will be able to:
- understand the scientific approach to the data analysis workflow and why and how R contributes to the process.
- import data into R in different text formats, excel, SAS, STATA and SPSS files as well as data from the web.
- know the concept of tidy data, identify messy features in a data set and tidy it ready for analysis.
- use simple exploratory analysis, including visualisation, to detect, be aware of, and possibly correct, data anomalies.
How to book:
Find this course on our eventbrite webpage.
To search the list of courses on eventbrite:
- Select “show more” at the bottom of the page.
- Press Ctrl+f on your keyboard if you’re using a PC or ⌘+f if you’re using a Mac.
- Type the name of the event that you’re looking for.
If you have any problems or are unable to find the course on eventbrite please contact us.