Introduction to seasonal adjustment (online)
- Open to
- All staff in the Government Statistical Service
- Type of training
- 30 to 40 minutes
- Learning Academy
- Learning Academy
This online training module is the third of three bite-size online learning training modules that make up the time series basics for official statistics’ course. The other two modules are:
It is recommended that the online module Introduction to time series is completed first.
This online training module aims to introduce the concept of seasonal adjustment for time series. Introduction to seasonal adjustment outlines why seasonal adjustment is important and what is the generic process to achieve seasonally adjusted series. Learners are introduced to the concepts of prior adjustment and the effect of calendar arrangement on seasonal adjustment, as well as common aspects that need to be considered in the process, such as the length of the series and revisions. There is also a brief exercise with answers provided.
By the end of the module participants will gain a basic understanding of:
- The benefit of seasonal adjustment
- What time series properties need to be considered before seasonally adjusting
- The importance of prior adjustment and calendar effects
- Common issues associated with seasonal adjustment
- Software for seasonal adjustment
How to book:
Find this course on the Learning Academy eventbrite webpage.
To search the list of courses on eventbrite:
- Select “show more” at the bottom of the page.
- Press Ctrl+f on your keyboard if you’re using a PC or ⌘+f if you’re using a Mac.
- Type the name of the event that you’re looking for.
If you have any problems or are unable to find the course on eventbrite please contact us.
It is highly recommended that the online modules Introduction to time series, Introduction to seasonal adjustment and Introduction to forecasting are completed prior to the taking of the face to face courses.