BBC Secondment Opportunity
The GSS Capability Team are pleased to offer an exciting opportunity for an experienced analyst to work within the BBC for a three-month placement in 2021, between July and September.
Due to the ongoing restrictions, because of the pandemic, the secondment will primarily be completed remotely with the potential of working out of Broadcasting House should restrictions be relaxed during this period.
The role would suit a Grade 7, experienced Senior Executive Officer or fast streamer from one of the analytical professions.
Your salary for this professional development opportunity will continue to be paid by your parent department, so applicants should have the approval of their line manager and divisional director before applying.
Role and responsibilities
You will work closely with the BBC’s Head of Statistics to fact check, provide figures and briefings and ensure the robust and accurate use of statistics in any BBC outputs across a range of topics, specifically through:
- advising on the interpretation and presentation of statistical claims in surveys, press releases and news stories
- helping journalists find the right data source and come to conclusions supported by the evidence when working with official statistics
- conducting ad hoc statistical analyses of data for new stories with the statistics and data journalism teams
- promoting good statistics and statistical thinking to journalists
You should have:
- strong communication skills with ability to provide advice and share knowledge with customers and colleagues
- the ability to influence decision making, working with credibility and proactively with customers to share knowledge and information
- experience of forming effective relationships with stakeholders and ability to utilise a wide network
- a broad and demonstrative understanding of official statistics and ability to look at the broader spectrum of data available
- the ability to develop and maintain reputation, building trust through quality assurance of work
All loans and secondment opportunities are offered based on current satisfactory performance. Applicants must obtain their line-manager’s permission to apply, as well as an endorsement of their application, and approval for release to start at the beginning of July 2021.
The successful candidates will be representing the Government Statistical Service (GSS) and as such will be expected to adhere to their professional standards and the Civil Service code of objectivity and impartiality at all times during their placement.
Please send a brief expression of interest (no more than 1 side of A4) to GSS.Careers@ons.gov.uk stating how you meet the requirements, as outlined in the person specification.
We will carry out a selection exercise based on the roles, responsibilities, and person specification criteria.
The deadline for applications is Friday 23 April 2021.
Read some of our previous secondee’s stories:
- My secondment at the BBC: I never appreciated how creative journalists are
- My unexpected secondment at the BBC, by Helen Bray
- My secondment at BBC News: How to pitch stats and influence people, by Danielle Cornish
- My summer placement at BBC News, by Faye Gracey
- My secondment at the BBC during the General Election, by Sumit Rahman