BBC Secondment Opportunity
The Government Statistical Service (GSS) Capability Team are pleased to offer an exciting opportunity for an experienced analyst to work at the BBC for a three-month placement between April and June 2021.
Due to the ongoing restrictions caused by coronavirus (COVID-19), the secondment will primarily be completed remotely with the potential of working in Broadcasting House in London should restrictions be relaxed during this period.
The role would suit a Grade 7 or experienced Senior Executive Officer or fast streamer from one of the analytical professions.
Your salary for this professional development opportunity will continue to be paid by your parent department, so applicants should have the approval of their line manager and director before applying.
Read about Faye Gracey’s secondment experience in her blog post.
Role and responsibilities
The successful applicants will work closely with the BBC’s Head of Statistics to fact check, provide figures and briefings and ensure the robust and accurate use of statistics in any BBC outputs across a range of topics, specifically through:
- advising on the interpretation and presentation of statistical claims in surveys, press releases and news stories
- helping journalists find the right data source and come to conclusions supported by the evidence when working with official statistics
- conducting ad hoc statistical analyses of data for new stories with the statistics and data journalism teams
- promoting good statistics and statistical thinking to journalists
You should have the following skills and experience:
- strong communication skills with ability to provide advice and share knowledge with customers and colleagues
- ability to influence decision making, working with credibility and proactively with customers to share knowledge and information
- experience of forming effective relationships with stakeholders and ability to utilise a wide network
- a broad and demonstrative understanding of official statistics and ability to look at the broader spectrum of data available
- ability to develop and maintain reputation, building trust through quality assurance of work
All loans and secondment opportunities are offered based on current satisfactory performance. Applicants must obtain their line-manager’s permission to apply, as well as an endorsement of their application, and approval for release to start at the beginning of April 2021.
The successful candidates will be representing ONS and the Government Statistical Service (GSS) and as such will be expected to adhere to their professional standards and the Civil Service code of objectivity and impartiality. Please send a brief expression of interest (no more than 1 side of A4) to GSS.Careers@ons.gov.uk stating how you meet the requirements, as outlined in the person specification.
We will carry out a selection exercise based on the roles, responsibilities and person specification criteria. The deadline for applications is Tuesday 19 January 2021.