Covid-19 Project and Data Manager
An opportunity to be an integral member of the Technical Advisory Cell, Modelling, Statistics and Economics Team. You will provide the First Minister and Minister for Health and Social Services with high quality fit for purpose briefings on pan portfolio issues relating to coronavirus (Covid-19), working closely with Private Offices.
You will work closely with the Chief Scientific Advisor for Health, to ensure that the Department has a high quality working relationship with the Ministers and Private Offices. Support Ministers through providing high quality briefings and associated support in the conduct of all aspects of their Ministerial portfolio including the provision of high quality papers, information and other material required for his or her role in the conduct of stakeholder meetings, correspondence, Assembly Plenary, Committee and Cabinet business.
Areas of work include:
- liaison with Public Health Wales (PHW) and NHS Wales Informatics Service (NWIS)
- interpreting outputs from scientific pandemic influenza modelling group (SPI-M), SAGE, PW and NWIS
- data collection and analysis on rapidly evolving topics
- working with academia to develop and interpret models e.g. Swansea, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) etc
This post is in the Modelling, Statistics and Economics Branch which is part of the Technical Advisory Cell (TAC). The team support the control of coronavirus (Covid-19) and the objectives of the Welsh Government therein by providing professional expertise, evidence based advice, analysis and guidance on health intelligence and surveillance on the transmission and incidence of coronavirus (Covid-19).
TAC complete a wider range of functions and provide advice to the First Minister, Minister for Health and Social Services and the Director of TAC on health intelligence related to coronavirus (Covid-19). It provides appropriate, timely, high quality and professional intelligence advice in respect of transmission and incidence related to coronavirus (Covid-19).
- manage COVID-19 data analysis and projects, and feeding this into the COVID intelligence cell
- brief senior officials and Ministers on topical issues
- act as point of contact for external partners on WG data collection and dissemination (SAIL, Swansea, Armakuni and others)
- co-ordination and development of linked data analysis using SAIL data
- oversight of data collection and dissemination for TAC modelling, including provision to SPI-M and SAGE
- oversight of data analysis presented on the COVID intelligence dashboard, and ensuring access for external stakeholders for operational purposes
The post will provide significant exposure to senior management across Welsh Government during what is an unprecedented time with regular dealings with Ministers. It will provide the opportunity to understand linkages across Ministerial portfolios and the wider Welsh Government agenda. The role will provide opportunities to engage in the wider statistical work of Statistical Services, and the chance to develop knowledge and understanding of the Welsh Government’s policies in specific areas.
The successful individual will have public sector experience and will have worked in a data management environment.
- Able to undertake research and investigative work in the development of policy and recommend a course of action to senior managers.
- Able to handle complex casework and provide advice to senior managers on the action required, through use of project management skills (project qualification desirable).
- SQL IT skills.
We are offering this opportunity as a loan or secondment for up to 12 months. It is open to any civil servant who meets the person specification.
It is possible to undertake this role working from home for the duration of the loan. For that reason, you can be located anywhere in the UK. However, if you would prefer to work from one of our offices (when it is safe to do so), that is also possible.
Please note this opportunity if only available on lateral, it is not available on promotion.
How to apply
To express an interest in this loan, please email Rebecca.Gillard@gov.wales outlining your previous experience, any relevant posts you have undertaken and any specific requirements you have.
Given the time critical nature of the role, we’re looking for someone who can start as soon as possible. For this reason there is no closing date for this application process – please get in touch as soon as you can.
For further information about the role, please contact Matthew.Wright@gov.wales.