Head of COVID-19 Statistics
You will play a crucial role in leading the Welsh Government’s analytical response to the pandemic, delivering some of the most high profile and widely used statistics that the Welsh Government produces.
You will be responsible for the leadership and oversight of coronavirus (COVID-19) related statistics within the Welsh Government’s Knowledge and Analytical Service Division, with tasks including:
- leading teams responsible for coronavirus (COVID-19) related statistics and analysis, including direct line management of two statisticians.
- delivering a wide range of official statistics and management information publications on coronavirus (COVID-19) and identifying areas for improvement.
- working with analysts across the Welsh Government, including the Technical Advisory Cell, to identify and respond to analytical priorities related to the pandemic.
- building and maintaining effective relationships with senior officials in the Welsh Government, developing appropriate planning and prioritisation arrangements.
- engaging with other organisations on coronavirus (COVID-19) analysis, including Public Health Wales, NHS Wales Informatics Service NWIS, the Joint Biosecurity Centre, other devolved administrations and United Kingdom (UK) government departments to ensure coherence and coordination, and that Welsh user needs are met.
- acting as senior statistician on important policy areas as required, including attendance at policy groups and liaison with policy customers.
- ensuring compliance with the Code of Practice for Statistics and responding to Office for Statistics Regulation recommendations as required.
- briefing and advising Ministers on statistics related to this portfolio, and any statistical issues that arise
- acting as a member of the statistics management team, contributing to divisional priorities and deputising for the Chief Statistician on coronavirus (COVID-19) related matters
We are looking for a Grade 6 statistician (or other analyst with experience of managing official statistics) to join us on a lateral loan or secondment.
Please note: these posts are only available on a lateral move, they are not available on promotion.
It is possible to do this post working from home 100% of the time. For that reason the role can be based anywhere in the UK. However, when it is safe to do so, you would be welcome to work from one of our offices, if you would prefer.
How to apply
To express your interest in this loan, email Rebecca.Gillard@gov.wales outlining your experience and relevant posts you have undertaken, along with any specific requirements you have.
We are keen to fill this post as soon as we can, given the time critical nature of the role. For this reason there is no closing date for applying – please get in touch as soon as you can.
We have not specified a length for this loan or secondment because the duration depends to some extent on how quickly someone could start and for how long the production of coronavirus (COVID-19) statistics is still required.
For further information please contact Rebecca Gillard: Rebecca.Gillard@gov.wales.