Senior Data Scientist
The Welsh Government Data Science Unit are offering a six month opportunity for a government data scientist to join the team on loan or secondment from their department.
As a Senior data scientist within the Data Science Unit (DScU), the post holder will work with stakeholders across Welsh Government and the wider Welsh public sector to scope, develop and deliver data science solutions to help improve processes, create outputs and support the Digital Strategy for Wales. Post holders will have chance to work on a variety of problems to support policy, decision making and operations across the organisation. The post holder will work alongside a small team of data scientists on multiple projects and act as mentor for junior members of the team.
- Deliver project work utilising machine learning models, structured and unstructured data, visualisations, textual data, geospatial data and automation for a broad range of government areas.
- Support the continued testing and development of a data science platform within Welsh Government.
- Lead small project teams and support junior members of staff in further developing their data science and project management skills.
- Engage with stakeholders to scope and identify data science projects that are feasible and impactful.
- Promote good working practises within the team – version control, code reviews, project management, agile working, knowledge sharing etc.
- Promote and present data science work both within and outside of the organisation.
- Keep up to date with the latest developments in data science and seek opportunities to test new methodologies.
This opportunity is a fixed term loan or secondment initially for a 6 month period starting as soon as possible. It is open to any senior analyst with proven experience of coding in R or Python, leading project work and working in a team.
It is possible to do this role working from home for the duration of the loan. For that reason, you can be located anywhere in the UK. However, if you would prefer to work from one of their offices (when it is safe to do so), that is also possible.
Please note this opportunity is only available on lateral, it is not available on promotion.
How to apply
To express an interest in this loan, please email Rachel.Lloyd@gov.wales outlining your previous experience, a technical example of how you have used R or Python to improve a business process or deliver a data science output, any relevant posts you have undertaken and any specific requirements you have.
The Welsh Government Data Science Unit are looking for someone who can start as soon as possible.
For further information about the role, please contact DataScienceUnit@gov.wales.