Senior Executive Officer statistician in Scottish Government
Scottish Government is seeking Senior Assistant Statisticians (Senior Executive Officer grade) to join on loan or secondment for up to two years.
The statistical service in the Scottish Government provides an accurate, up to date and comprehensive picture of the economy and society to inform policy making across central government. It also works closely with a large number of external stakeholders both in terms of organising and improving data collections as well as enhancing the use of evidence and statistics.
Within the Scottish Government you can expect to work in one of the areas of devolved policy responsibility – including Economy, Health, Education, Justice, Transport, Local Government, Communities and Rural Affairs – as well as in corporate analytical units such as the Office of the Chief Statistician.
There are a range of interesting and challenging posts available across analytical services.
The subject you work on will depend on your skills and experience, interests, and business needs.
A wide range of courses and other training opportunities are available. We actively encourage training and development to help you develop a broad range of skills and develop your potential.
The main duties will be:
- producing high quality and pertinent data, evidence and analysis
- providing sophisticated interpretation that brings new insights and innovation
- working with users and providers including researchers and economists to ensure statistical needs are met efficiently and effectively adding value to government decision making and supporting the development of government policies
- managing, supporting and developing staff as appropriate
- making a significant contribution to the aims and objectives of the Scottish Government Statistics and Analytical Group
- Experience and strong understanding of applying statistical techniques and managing data.
- Capable of working in a team, motivating others, balancing business needs with wellbeing and career aspirations of colleagues.
- Ability to build effective relationships, bring new insights to real problems, and communicate those insights effectively.
- Experience of planning, organising and prioritising to successfully deliver outcomes.
Depending on the grade and post, you could expect the following types of development opportunity:
- Opportunity to develop knowledge and understanding of Scottish Government policies in a range of diverse and often cross-cutting areas and to work with colleagues in formulating and monitoring such policies.
- Experience of briefing Ministers and senior officials, and partnership working both within the Scottish Government, UK Government and with external bodies.
- Opportunity to further develop statistical analysis and dissemination skills.
These lateral loan and secondment opportunities are open to statisticians and data scientists within the Government Statistician Group who hold permanent contracts in their home departments.
Applications will also be considered from other analysts working within the wider Government Statistical Service provided a permanent contract is held (e.g. other members of the Office for National Statistics Researchers, Analysts and Statisticians group, ex-data analytics apprentices, “non-badged” statisticians with relevant experience such as those in arm’s-length bodies).
How to apply
To apply, please complete the attached application form (doc, 1MB) including details of any relevant posts you have undertaken and any specific requirements you have to email@example.com by midday on 22 April 2019. We may invite you for a short, informal interview which can be done by telephone if required.
For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org