Statistical Officer C2 – Performance Measurement Analyst
Performance measurement is crucial to the successful delivery and management of MOD business and in ensuring proper evidence-based decision making. The post holder will act as the centre of expertise on performance measurement across MOD and will assist with cross-Departmental activity to ensure that MOD is able to measure success against its Strategic Objectives.
You will provide input and advice on performance measures and metrics for the department’s performance reporting framework and for other key strategic projects, including judgements on data quality, validity of assumptions and presentational issues; you will also provide ad-hoc analysis to support this work. This will require the post holder establishing strong working relationships with data providers, analysts and strategy / policy colleagues from across Defence. Due to the nature of the post, the individual will need to work flexibly and at times may have little statistical supervision particularly when supporting policy areas.
This is a high profile area influencing the provision of regular performance statistics to the Defence Board (chaired by the Secretary of State) and shaping the way in which performance is measured across the MOD. As such it provides the opportunity to develop an excellent strategic overview of MOD activity, with broad exposure across the Department.
The main responsibilities will be:
- Working directly to the Director Performance & Analysis, provide statistical subject matter expertise to the monthly Defence Board Performance Pack, ensuring inputs into the pack are relevant, fit-for-purpose, professionally presented and documented.
- Supporting the TLB performance reporting process by advising on data sources and presentation.
- Ensuring performance measurement is built into the Defence Plan, Single Departmental Plan & TLB Command Plans through the provision of advice and support to these projects. This may include developing performance metrics for SDP commitments.
- Providing statistical support to the Ministry of Defence Annual Report and Accounts – sourcing data where needed, ensuring data is well presented and that the publication meets the Code of Practice for Official Statistics.
- Support strategic projects across MOD to ensure they robustly measure and report their performance, including input to Implementation Unit Deep Dives. Recent examples have included work to develop forecasts for Diversity Intake targets and advising on validity of updated Defence Business Service Key Performance Indicators.
Applicants must be members of the Government Statistician Group (GSG)
Civil Service Jobs reference: 1582214