Statistical Quality Advisor
Number of posts: 2
Directorate: Best Practice and Impact division
Team: GSS Quality Centre
You may not have heard or come across the GSS quality centre to date because they have previously worked primarily for ONS. Now they are part of the Best Practice & Impact Division facing the GSS and are part of a wider team supporting the GSS to improve Government Statistics. These posts will provide you strategic insight across the whole of government statistics, build your knowledge of what best practice looks like and develop your consultancy skills. The team has no business as usual work, everything we do is project based, so you’ll be developing new skills in everything you do.
See here for further information on the Best Practice & Impact Division https://gss.civilservice.gov.uk/about-us/support-for-the-gss/
The Quality Centre team is a key enabler for improving the quality standards of statistics across government leading, promoting and embedding quality standards and principles across the GSS.
This is an important role and will give the applicants the opportunity to support the development of a GSS Strategy on quality and embedding the delivery of the strategy across the GSS.
The post holder will have the opportunity:
- to have a leading role building their understanding around quality issues and the important use of its application across the GSS
- to develop new ways to assess and report the quality of administrative data and other big data sources, drawing on academics’ expertise in the new methods
- to work on Independent Reviews of statistical teams across government, assessing statistical capability and statistical outputs which will build their consultancy skills and test their statistical expertise
- to help run training courses and seminars on quality across the GSS
- to ensure that consistent quality standards are in place in the application and presentation of statistical outputs
- to help develop, maintain and promote quality standards through collaboration and presentation across the GSS
- to undertake a 3 month secondment into the National Statistician’s Private Office
We are particularly interested in hearing from fast streamers with experience in policy departments.
For more information about the role and how to apply, please see the full job description.
Applications should be made directly to the recruiting manager.