Grade 7 statistician in Scottish Government
The Scottish Government is seeking grade 7 statisticians to join them on loan for up to two years.
The statistical service in the Scottish Government provides an accurate, up to date and comprehensive picture of the economy and society to inform policy making across central government. It also works closely with a large number of external stakeholders both in terms of organising and improving data collections as well as enhancing the use of evidence and statistics.
Within the Scottish Government you can expect to work in one of the areas of devolved policy responsibility – including: Economy, Health, Education, Justice, Transport, Local Government, Communities and Rural Affairs – as well as in corporate analytical units such as the Office of the Chief Statistician.
Scottish Government grade 7 statisticians lead teams to:
- efficiently produce high quality and pertinent data, evidence and analysis
- provide sophisticated interpretation that brings new insights and innovation
- bring this together to tell a compelling evidence based story that challenges and influences important decisions throughout the country that affect Scotland’s people
In addition, postholders will be expected to:
- make a significant contribution to the aims and objectives of the Scottish Government statistics and analytical group
- manage, support and develop staff as appropriate
- A strong understanding of statistical techniques, managing data and official statistics issues.
- Strong people management skills with an effective leadership style.
- Ability to build effective relationships with people at all levels of seniority, bring new insights to real problems, and communicate those insights effectively.
- Proven project management, planning and organisational skills including the ability to balance competing demands to deliver outcomes.
Depending on the grade and post, you could expect the following types of development opportunity:
- Opportunity to develop knowledge and understanding of Scottish Government policies in a range of diverse and often cross-cutting areas and to work with colleagues in formulating and monitoring such policies.
- Experience of briefing Ministers and senior officials, and partnership working both within the Scottish Government, UK Government and with external bodies.
- Opportunity to further develop statistical analysis and dissemination skills.
These lateral loan or secondment opportunities are open to statisticians and data scientists within the Government Statistician Group who hold permanent contracts in their home departments.
Applications will also be considered from other analysts working within the wider Government Statistical Service provided a permanent contract is held (e.g. other members of the Office for National Statistics Researchers, Analysts and Statisticians group, ex-data analytics apprentices, “non-badged” statisticians with relevant experience such as those in arm’s-length bodies).
How to apply
To apply, please complete the application form (doc, 1MB) including details of any relevant posts you have undertaken and any specific requirements you have to email@example.com by midday on 22 April 2019. We may invite you for a short, informal interview which can be done by telephone if required.
For further information contact firstname.lastname@example.org